Tattoos can be a great way to visually tell people what you are passionate about or what you believe in. However, over time, the tattoo you once loved might not hold the same meaning in your life. Because of this, you might be looking at ways to remove your unwanted tattoo.
So, what’s the best way to get your tattoo removed? The answer is laser tattoo removal. Not only can laser treatment help to fade tattoo ink, but in most cases, we can remove your tattoo completely. What’s more, it does this without leaving scarring or damaging the surrounding skin.
But, before you start, it is good for you to understand how laser tattoo removal works. That is why we are here to reveal more about the laser tattoo removal process and more about the benefits of having it done.
Can you tell me more about laser tattoo removal?
If you are looking for a treatment to help your tattoos fade or permanently remove unwanted tattoos – laser tattoo removal is the answer. How does it do this? It uses high-intensity laser light to break down a tattoo into smaller particles, which your body can then dispose of.
At Zapp Laser Studio, we use the PicoSure laser treatment. It is one of the world’s most advanced laser treatments for tattoo removal. It is more precise than other laser treatments as it targets ink particles much harder and faster so that they break down into much smaller pieces that your body can easily absorb and get rid of.
Although PicoSure works much harder and faster on shattering tattoo ink, it is still gentle on your skin. It is also less painful than other tattoo removal methods such as dermabrasion.
We can also use a cryo machine before, during and after the treatment. This blows cold air onto your skin, which makes the treatment much more comfortable. Even though there is some discomfort, most of our patients describe our laser tattoo removal treatment as being quick. But most importantly, they love the results they get from it.
Tattoo ink and laser treatments for your skin
When your tattoo artist is creating your tattoo, they apply ink particles with a needle in varying depths in the deepest layer of your skin.
Laser tattoo removal uses laser light to target the tattoo ink. It reaches the shallow layers of the ink first before then going on to removing the deeper layers of your tattoo ink.
It can take multiple sessions of laser tattoo removal to reach all of the varying depths of your tattoo ink particles. Larger tattoos or those that are bold or dark will need more laser treatments than smaller and lighter tattoos.
The benefits of choosing PicoSure laser tattoo removal
- Works well on all ink colours on the colour spectrum because of the two laser wavelengths
- Requires fewer treatments to remove tattoos unlike traditional lasers
- Works well on most skin types (we will see if you are suitable during your consultation)
- Proven results on even the most stubborn tattoos
- Much more effective in fading tattoos than tattoo removal creams
- Can remove tattoos completely in 6-10 treatments. Larger tattoos can take longer
- It is a fast treatment that will save you time and is easy to fit into your schedule
- You need fewer treatments, which makes it a more affordable option
- PicoSure can also help to treat other skin conditions such as acne scars and to rejuvenate your skin
How laser tattoo removal works with PicoSure
Your first step is to have a consultation with one of our laser practitioners at our laser tatto removal clincis in Bristol and Brighton. . This enables us to get to know you, take a look at your tattoo and discuss what you want to achieve from your treatment. From this, we will develop a treatment plan that will deliver the results you are looking for.
During your laser tattoo removal treatment, the laser device will deliver ultra-short pulses at a fast rate. This ensures that we can precisely target the tattoo pigment without touching your surrounding skin.
By delivering laser energy in short bursts, it also means we can treat tattoos that are normally hard to fade or remove completely. This includes more resistant pigments such as blues and greens.
To make your treatment experience more comfortable, we can use a cryo machine throughout. This blows extremely cold air onto the skin, which does not numb the area, but does make the treatment more pleasant.
We do not use numbing cream for laser tattoo removal because they can change the texture of your skin and slow down the treatment.
The PicoSure treatment is relatively quick and can fit into your busy schedule. Depending on the size of the tattoo you want to remove, your treatment session can take anywhere from a few seconds to 10 minutes to complete.
From the first treatment, the laser will break down the ink particles into smaller pieces that your body’s immune system will absorb and eliminate. If you are looking to fade an existing tattoo to cover up with other professional tattoos, you will need fewer treatments. If you want to completely remove your tattoo, you will require more treatment sessions.
How many treatments will I need?
No tattoo is the same as another. How each person responds to laser tattoo removal is also different. During your consultation, we will talk you through how many sessions you will need to achieve your desired result.
If you want to fade your tattoo to cover it up, you will require 2-6 treatments. This will depend on what you want to cover the old tattoo with.
If you want to completely remove your tattoo, this can take anywhere from 6-10 treatments. For larger tattoos, this might take longer.
You will have one session every 10 weeks. This is so that your body can process the ink and get rid of it.
Laser tattoo removal aftercare
To get the most out of your laser tattoo removal treatment, we advise that you follow the below aftercare advice.
- Avoid exposing the treated area to heat for 72 hours including hot baths, showers, saunas, steam rooms and vigorous exercise.
- If you blister, you should avoid heat trauma for one week after your treatment.
- You should wear loose clothing for the first 72 hours even if blisters do not form. This helps to avoid unnecessary friction from your clothing.
- You will need to keep the treatment area clean and protect it with dressings if needed. This will prevent it from becoming infected or scarring from forming.
- If you get small blisters they will pop in a few days and the area will dry out and heal.
- If you get larger blisters, you can pierce them with a sterile needle and message the fluid out with clean hands.
- Always wear sun protection before and after your treatment. This can prevent you from developing skin pigmentation issues.
- If your tattoo becomes itchy, apply an ice pack or cold compress.
- After the first 48 hours, you can apply an aloe vera gel to help keep the area cool.
Book your initial consultation for laser tattoo removal
Whether you want to fade an old tattoo to cover it up with a new one, or you want your tattoo completely removed – we can help. It all starts with a consultation with one of our trained laser practitioners.
During your appointment, we will explain how the PicoSure laser works and show you some of the results we have helped some of our clients achieve. It is also your chance to ask any questions you might have about laser tattoo removal so that you feel comfortable before starting your treatment.